ORAL HYGIENE- TRAINING AND INSTRUCTIONS
Successful and correct teeth care is a great challenge in our society. Basic method of protection against cavity and gum disease is tooth brushing. Motivating and educating an average person in achieving and maintaining 0good oral health is not that simple. We all get some kind of habit in teeth brushing during childhood, and later we do it automatically, without paying attention if we do it properly.
Only individual training and specified instructions, given by trained dentists, ensure each patient with long-term success. Good oral hygiene can be applied on a daily basis, if we develop the necessary skills and knowledge.
How to choose the right toothbrush?
Our recommendation is a soft bristle brush (ultrasoft). Also, toothbrushes with smaller head are a better choice, because you can easily manipulate with them. Toothbrushes can be with synthetic or natural bristles. The ones with synthetic bristles are more convenient because the possibility of bacteria remaining on them is less.
Dental floss or interdental brushes?
Because of often misusage of dental floss, and gum injuries, interdental brushes are a much better choice. With these brushes, you clean the spaces in between teeth much more efficient and they are completely safe for your gums – if used properly.
Recommendation is to use them once a day, if possible in the evening, before going to sleep.
How important is the toothpaste and other aids?
It is important that you choose one with fluorides, in 1100-1450 ppmF concentration. Also, what is good to know is that no aid for oral hygiene maintenance (toothpaste, mouthwash etc.) cannot replace proper brushing and mechanical plaque removal. That is the base of good teeth and gum health.
How should you brush?
- You place the brush under a sharp angle to the gums, so that the half of the head is on the gums, half on the teeth
- Brush should be moved gently, with minimal pressure (so you don’t hurt the gums), in circular small movements
- First you brush the outer surfaces of the teeth, than the inner, and in the end the chewing ones
- You should repeat these movements multuiple times in one place, than you gradually move the brush towards the opposite side of the jaw, until you clean all teeth
- It is also important to clean the tounge while brushing your teeth
Mastering the proper technique takes time and practice, but it is most certainly worth trying because it enables you to preserve the health of your teeth and gums.
How to maintain hygiene with small children?
- First visit to the dentist is recommended even before the deciduous teeth start growing, so the parents get adequate instructions
- You can gently clean your baby’s gums with a piece of gauze wrapped around your forefinger, after meal
- When deciduous teeth start growing, you can begin using toothbrush
- Circular cavity in children, is most often, caused by drinking milk or juice from bottle, in a longer timeframe, od during the night – control the bottle usage.
It is very important HOW you brush, because not brushing regularly often gives results, like no brushing at all.
In LAVIN DENTAL CLINIC, doctors have finished special training in oral hygiene, and can simply explain everything that you want to know.
It only takes a little good will to keep your smile bright and teeth healthy!